Over Sixty Years of Dedicated Service to Libraries.
For over sixty years libraries have been able to turn to Brodart Co. for everything from furniture to electronic ordering systems. In many respects it is also an international company, serving libraries from the Northwest Territories to the Pacific Rim, with facilities in the United States and Canada. Its rich history has led it to become a truly full-service library supply company.
The Automation Division focuses its efforts on the latest computer technology and how it can be used to improve library services. The division offers a complete range of automation services and software from retrospective conversion to interlibrary loan. Libraries of all sizes including small school and large metropolitan libraries can choose from a variety of automation services to suit their specific needs.
The Books Services Division is one of the world's largest suppliers of books to libraries. However, books are just the beginning. The Books Services Division offers dozens of ways for a library to save time and money while providing the most current collection to their patrons.
The Contract Library Furniture Division manufactures high quality, solid furniture for libraries. Although styles and choices may vary greatly, each piece is meticulously crafted for many years of dependable use. The Furniture Division builds furniture for circulation areas, children's rooms and media centers as well as hundreds of other uses.
The Supplies & Furnishings Division provides a multitude of products to keep any library, large or small, running smoothly. The Brodart supply catalog lists thousands of items from book binding tape to globes to computer supplies.
The seeds of Brodart Co. began in 1939 when a young Columbia University student named Arthur Brody invented the plastic book jacket cover. Mr. Brody did a lot of architectural photography as a student, and one day washed the emulsion off some film and folded it around some books for added protection. When the covers' popularity grew among his fellow students, the plastic book jacket cover was officially born. Today, the covers are used to protect the original paper jackets of library books, giving them a longer shelf life and increasing their circulation. This innovation, in turn, gave birth to Brodart Co.
The Company continued to flourish, and in 1954 began manufacturing a complete line of furniture. Expert workmanship has allowed Brodart to expand and diversify this product line, and today Brodart's library furniture is sold to schools, universities, and libraries worldwide.
In the 1950's Brodart Co. expanded into book distribution. The Company now offers libraries and schools books from over 20,000 publishers, and stocks its warehouse with over 225,000 titles and 2,000,000 books. Many of these books are shipped to libraries completely shelf-ready--fully cataloged and processed with borrowers' cards, spine labels and barcodes already in place. These additional services, pioneered exclusively by Brodart, greatly reduce a librarian's workload.
An impressive half century has passed since the Company was founded. This accomplishment is due in large part to Mr. Brody, now Chairman of the Board, who still guides the company, and to the Employees of Brodart. As professionals, these employees never accept a mediocre solution to a customer's needs and continually strive to provide libraries with the best possible service and products.